What is Global and International Studies?
Global and International Studies (GLIS) is devoted to understanding human cultures and societies as bounded by “One World”. The GLIS program emphasizes developing a global perspective through scholarly study, research, international communication, and experience abroad. The GLIS program brings together expertise from the Humanities and Social Sciences for an interdisciplinary approach to the global problems facing us.
Why should I major in Global and International Studies?
You might like this program if:
- you are concerned about global problems that face everyone and cannot be explained by a single discipline or approach; and/or
- you think laws, economics, social statistics, history, and culture are important in solving problems like war, starvation, mass migration, and climate change.
What careers can I have with a major in Global and International Studies?
A Global and International Studies major offers students a well-rounded, interdisciplinary education. This prepares our students for a variety of careers paths, including those in:
- Diplomatic service
- Intelligence analysis
- International business and finance
- Non-government organizations
- Non-profit organizations
Meet some of our recent graduates to see how they utilized their degree!
Opportunities for Graduate Studies
Graduate work is required for teaching at the college or university level. Graduates from this program are also prepared for competitive graduate fields such as:
- Global Studies
- Law School
- Political Science
- Comparative Literature
- Area Studies
- International development
- Global education
- Public policy
- Humanities and social sciences